Sunday, March 21, 2010


I spent more time thinking after the post l left yesterday.  Some have expressed concern about my weight loss goal - that it's unrealistic and that I might be setting myself up for failure.  This is my idea about setting the weight loss goal: Shoot for the moon.  If you miss, you'll still land among the stars.
I don't remember where I read that, but I like it a lot.  Often we set goals thinking we MUST meet them or else.  Really, it's the striving to meet the goal and how much we accomplish along the way that are important.  Whether I hit 150 by July 15th or not, if I work hard, follow directions, and continue to grow, I'll be a much better, more whole, and healthier person than I am today.

And let's talk about that word failure.  As a teacher, I work hard to convince my students they aren't failures (I know...I work in a jail.  How can the possibly NOT be failures, right?).  Well, we all make mistakes.  If we're smart, we learn from them and move on.  The only times we fail are 1. when we don't try and 2. when we refuse to learn from our mistakes.

No comments: